Pictures and story for Garage Squad

The Mercedes 190SL


The 190SL was the smaller of the two sports coupes introduced to the North American market by Mercedes Benz in the mid 1950's.






It was designed as a less expensive version of the famous 300SL, the sleek, gull-wing roadster that is familiar to even those who are not car enthusiasts:



The 300SL was expensive.  To reduce the cost of the 190SL, Mercedes used less expensive parts such as carburetors (rather than fuel injectors) and a chassis that they had already designed for their 190 series sedan.

The result was a very popular roaster convertible, or coupe, that sold over 25,000 units from 1955 until 1963.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_190_SL

My father bought a 1957 model, used, in 1965.   I was two years old at that time, and as I grew up, that car became my second love - a boy's first love is always his mom, right?

I now have the car and am working to restore it.

When it's fully restored, mine will look like these other restored beauties (these pics are directly off the internet):


Source: http://www.luxclassics.com/1957-mercedes-benz-190sl-black--for-sale.html

My car also has the removable hard top option.

I have watched your show and thought my car would be a great candidate for one of your episodes.  Most of the restoration heavy-lifting is done (engine, drive train), and I am facing the unfamiliar territory of suspension rebuilding, leather interiors, and finish painting.


The story of the car and my family:

Dad was a fighter jet pilot (F-8 Crusader) on aircraft carriers in the Viet Nam war.  He drove it when he was at home, and not on an aircraft carrier, and after the war when was posted to the Norfolk/ Virginia Beach area at several Naval bases.  In 1976 he retired, and due to a mechanical problem, the car was parked in the garage, where it sat for 38 years.

In 2014, I took possession of the car with my dad's blessing, to bring it to my home in Fairfax Va, in the suburbs of Washington DC for restoration.  Below are pics of the trip from Virginia beach, and the car in my garage.

Dad, as we loaded the car in Virginia Beach

Me, after the loading, which took several hours, since I was doing it alone.


Just before leaving Va Beach

After the trip, and a refreshing rinsing to remove the decades of dust and road dirt.

As it sits, now, in my garage, before I removed the hard top.

I was hoping to get it done and give my dad a ride in his old car, but sadly he passed away before I could finish, in Sept 2016. (Yes, in the video I said 2006; I misspoke - he passed away in Sept '16)

I have spent the last three plus years restoring it on weekends and evenings, focusing on the engine and drive train.  I have my own garage at home, and have done all the work there, with the exception of the heavy machine-shop work (cylinder honing and crankshaft grinding/balancing, that kind of thing.)  I am at the point where the drive train is rebuilt, except for the differential.

Now, I am faced with interior work, including carpet and leather upholstery;  the differential needs to be looked at and maybe rebuilt with new bearings and seals; the dashboard instruments need some work (tach and speedometer), the suspension (shocks, springs, etc) need to be rebuilt; and it is in desperate need of a full paint job.

Below are pics of those sections:

Interior:

The driver's seat leather is almost completely gone, the seat pad is horsehair.  Dad stuffed additional padding foam rubber in, back when he drove it.

Driver's Seat

The video shows some racing seats I bought that are a bit like the original seats, but far less expensive.  Since I want to drive this car, I decided to go with less expensive and more rugged material (velour and vinyl) than the leather in the OEM seats.  Those materials are also easier to clean and won't hurt as much if the material is damaged.


Passenger's Seat, driver's side angle

Passenger seat, passenger side angle


Rear seat, sidewards facing, from driver's side angle


Rear seat




Passenger, Driver, and rear seat, from passenger side

Hard top liner and windshield needs replaced


Both doors need leather replaced. This is the passenger, the driver's side is the same.


Dashboard tachometer (there, but not installed), speedometer, and leather dashboard (leather needs replacement)


Suspension:

The suspension probably just needs rubber parts, knuckles, and shocks replaced, and a good cleaning. Right now it squeaks a bit, but it bounces well enough.

Rear driver's side

The below picture is rather busy.  The camera is aimed forward, more or less directly under the driver's seat, pointing upwards at the master cylinder, and the rear of the engine.


This pic also shows rebuilt brake master cylinder (upper), clutch linkage (right side) and transmission (far right), and bottom of engine ( oil pan, lower center, with the ridges).  the round, mushy-looking black thing in the very center is an old motor mount that should also be replaced.

Driver's side front spring, suspension (left side of pic). 


Driver's side front

Passenger side front


Paint and one dent:  The paint is fairly well scratched all over, although the below pics are the worst of it.  There are small (dime sized and smaller) scratches with primer showing through on a lot of the car's surface.

Looking downwards at the front driver's side corner of the (opened) hood and fender, just aft of the headlight.

Passenger side dented fender (courtesy of my older sister who got to drive it when she was a teenager)

So, my pitch to you is to do a show about the 190SL, featuring mine, and in addition, give me some much needed help in areas where I am not well practiced, leather interior, suspension, and paint/body work.



Your submission asked for information on my family, garage, and house, so here are some pics:

My lovely Brazilian wife, Marcia

My lovely dog, Pretty, sitting uncomfortably in the space where the passenger seat will go


Pretty in the back seat, where I hope to have her riding with the top down one day

Garage, right side bay

Workbench in garage left of the two bays


Google street view of my house (a bit distorted, though)

There is also an interesting close group of 190SL owners who help each other with tips and repair advice.  We have annual conventions across the country (New England last year, California this year).  The group's website is "http://www.190slgroup.com"   The group president lives a few hours away, and I'm sure would be willing to talk to you if you come, to give more history and background on the 190 and the group's activities, if you're interested in that facet of the car.  Given his interest in helping owners repair their cars, he would probably love to be a part of the restoration project show.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Removing the Pilot Bearing